Thursday, November 7, 2013

Relief


Relief art is art that has subtle, yet varying degrees of depth on a two-dimensional background; in other words, the work of art has "layers" to it. There are three types of relief: high, low, and sunken. In high relief, the raised parts of the piece protrude greatly out from the background. In low relief, the depths of the layers are shallow. In sunken relief, the designs or pictures are carved into the background, making it somewhat hollow, rather than raising the designs above the background. My wolf  is an example of a low relief piece; you can barely tell that it has multiple layers of cardboard from the picture. I picked a wolf as the subject of my relief piece because it's been my favorite animal since first grade. I love their cunningness, gracefulness and swiftness, the bonding of the individual wolves in a pack and their sense of superiority as top-level predators. I am most proud of the colors that I put on my wolf. I darkened the parts that needed to be shaded, and I was able to successfully blend the many darks and lights of his fur. The direction of the colors also portray the illusion that he is in mid-run. If I could go back and change some things about my piece I think I would change the dark spots on his coat of fur that don't quite match the rest of his fur and also perhaps make his tail more elongated to better express his sleekness.

No comments:

Post a Comment